From:
Mike Horlick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 2009 15:04:10 -0400
Hello Todd,

There may be pain,suffering and there is death. If you relate this happening to
a human being you would say any one of these would surely be unpleasant to
say the least.

It's interesting on how people can get all worked up about the welfare of their
pets but can't make the transfer to other animals such as cows/sheep/pigs,
etc... Maybe in the paleolithic days and with hunter gatherers, hunting was
and is a sacred activity but frankly I don't see that in large scale production of
meat. I doubt that in a slaughter-house the people there perform any spiritual
rituals before or after doing the deed. Of course, maybe in small organic
operations maybe the people there do feel some connection to their "victims".
However, given the amount of beef being processed now maybe quick and
dirty is only possible and only done in large slaughterhouses.

Of course, as you mentioned it is also the way cattle are raised that is
disturbing and I realize that aspect could be remedied.

Well, maybe enough of that argument. Maybe it's best to just disassociate
meat from it's source, the animal.

Let me throw this out to you and the other members of the list.

If it was possible to create a non-meat food that provided all the nutrients of
meat would you switch to it rather to continue eating meat?

Maybe that's what those vegetarians do now. Try to make up for the
differences between meat and fruits/vegetables by taking vitamins and
supplements.

Since I also try to exercise regularly I have also been thinking into looking into
those "protein" shakes that I see advertised in muscle magazines and
sometimes see in speciality stores. I need to do more research on their
ingredients but I assume they are made from milk whey. Definitely, not paleo.
I guess most people would say why go with a processed food when meat is
complete. I'm only looking at the convenience (need to say Kosher) and the
cost.

I've also been looking at the fat aspect of the paleo, low-carb diet. So far
from different books and articles it gets a little confusing. It seems everyone
agrees on fish oil on being good for its Omega 3 content. Cordain recommends
canola and flaxseed oil. Some people discourage canola. I looked a bit at one
of Mary Enig books on fat and she recommends coconut nut (and sort of looks
down on canola and flaxseed). I doubt coconuts were widely available to our
ancestors.

With regards to my current diet I'm trying to concentrate on fish and fowl.
Before every meal I take an Omega 3 capsule, every other day I eat 1 or 2
eggs for breakfast, the other breakfasts I eat almond butter on flaxseed
bread. That and some nuts, mainly brazil,walnuts and almonds. For lunch I
usually eat a tin of sardines or mackerel with a bit of veggies,some pumpkin
and sunflower seeds and a fruit for desert. Mid-afternoon , another piece of
fruit. For supper I've been getting my wife to go along with fish/fowl or beef
with maybe one meal strictly vegetarian.

I started this "diet" search looking for a way to help with my osteo-arthritis
and I think this diet has helped me. Currently I'm reading one of those Zone
books and trying to decipher the science. He mentions maybe borage/primrose
oil can help as well.

Maybe there is someone out there who has experimented with adding these
oils to their diet?

Regards,

Mike