From:
Justin Hasselman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 19:09:45 CDT
ELIZABETH:
>I agree that the thought of a diet where I eat allot of meat and maybe a
>banana or blueberries is appealing. BUT, my blood sugar levels would go
>through the roof!!! I don't get how this diet works (Todd's success
>notwithstanding). When I eat potatoes or fruit other than berries I feel it
>later that day or the next. The last time I had potatoes for two days in a
>row, I had the leg cramps from hell. So did my kids. Hmmm. Mind you, we ate
>huge amounts of meat at the same meal along with a nice salad......
>
>I think the "foreign proteins" theory works for immune compromised
>individuals. I know it has for me.

JUSTIN:
I like this post.  Previously, when others on the list have posted about a
diet that contradicted paleo purism and said, "Hey, this worked for me" all
the others would jump in and start flaming away b/c in contradicts what
they've been told about paleo the entire time.  But now that Todd (one of
the more knowledgable people on the list) posts about a diet that's
non-paleo and works better for fat-loss, people are starting to take other
options in to consideration.  Others have posted about their positive
experience with non-paleo diets before, and it's unfortunate that it has
taken Todd's experience to open the minds of others on this list.

With me, I'm always manipulating my diet to find what works best for me.
Although I currently follow paleo purism b/c it works best *for me*, I tweak
it just a little bit.  I do high carb, high protein, low fat.  All I eat is
tuna fish, eye round stead, chicken breast, turkey breasts, green vegies,
and lotsa bananas.  With the exception of the 1T of cod liver oil I take per
day and the fat that naturally occurs in my meat, this is not a lot of fat.
My body functions much better when it is fueled by glucose rather than
ketones.  But there are others on the list (Philip for example) who have
built a muscular physique by using a much lower carb, higher fat diet.

Bottom line: experiment for yourself.  I'm constantly manipulating my diet
to find the best mix.  There is no one diet (and this includes paleo perfect
diets) that are best for everyone - nothing else is even possible b/c we all
have unique genetics.