From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 17:18:16 -0800
On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 18:41:00 -0500, R Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Original post (abbreviated):
><<Hmm. I've also read that carbs in the evening can be problematic for
>dieters.>>
>

>Ken's response (abbreviated):
><<Is there any scientific basis for this claim?>>
>

>Rob's response (abbreviated, emphasis added*):
><<When we eat, insulin levels rise, and insulin suppresses growth hormone.
>Growth hormone is ...quickly converted in the liver to Insulin-like Growth
>Factor-1
>(IGF-1). IGF-1 significantly enhances our bodies' ability to use glucose as
>cellular fuel - fuel for cellular maintenance and repair, building muscle,
>and ***burning fat***.
>

>Ken's response:
><<And, also, this is tangential to the original poster's comment about carbs
>at
>night being problematic for dieters...>>
>
>Rob's response:
>"Tangential"?  Carbs at night are problematic for dieters because the
>insulin produced inhibits growth hormone (Factor-1).  Growth hormone helps
>to build muscle and burn body fat.

The original statement says "evening" not "night".   The wording of the original
statement I've seen many times before and is spouted by people who have never
heard of IGF-1 and in fact, the statement first appeared long before GH and
IGF-1 were known to more than a handful of people.

The original statement refers to "common sense" thoughts such as the one that
food eaten late in the day has less chance to be "burned off" (whatever that is)
than food eaten early.

--
Cheers,

Ken