Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 09:59:36 -0400
 liz butek  said this:
I came across collard greens, which i've seen on just about every low carb
food list. Does anyone have any suggestions for them?
Are they eaten like raw salad, or can they be cooked? Are
they paleo?

They are very bitter when raw and less digstible and less nutritious, unless
you were to get baby size leaves that are tiny and immature.  Collards are
best cooked very thorougly, that breaks down antinutrients they contain, any
goitrogens (found in cabbage family vegetables), removes the bitter flavor,
and makes them more tender and digestible.  It also increases the
betacaroten absorption.  Steaming won't do the trick, sauteing then
simmering for about 20 minutes is best, or parboiling the leaves whole, in
lightly salted, boiling water without a cover, then removing, rinsing,
draining, and using as a wrapper for fillings (like cabbage leaves or grape
leaves), or chopping and briefly sauteing). They become sweeter when well
cooked and the stems can often be eaten if thoroughly cooked.

Collards, like kale, boky choy, and broccoli, are rich in fiber, vit C,
calcium, iron, magnesium, vit. K and many antioxidants.  I eat kale,
collards, or mustard greens almost daily throughout most of the year.   (I
don't do the Inuit thing; I eat a lot of leafy greens year round.
Incidentally, when we lived in Michigan, we ate some kale and collards
piced when snow and frost were on the ground. They are more delicious and
the stems are sweeter after the first frost of the year and can be picked
after a good snow or freeze.  Parsnips are better after the first frost too!

 Because they (the hardy leafy greens) take a little while to clean
thoroughly, chop, and cook, I always make enough to serve 3 meals, then use
them up over the course of two days.  They're great cold, leftover, a
healthy convenience food (made ahead), great in pack lunches or with eggs or
leftover meat for breakfast.   Remove all the sand from the leaves and stems
or you'll be sorry!!!

I e-mailed you (Liz & Dori) my favorite collard/kale recipe.  If anyone else
wants it, e-mail me privately.

Enjoy,

(Chef) Rachel,
The Healthy Cooking Coach)