From:
Fredrik Murman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:25:12 -0500
Stan Marks <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Also, has anyone had any experience with using venison suet (the internal
>fat from the kidney area)? Can it be rendered into a usable state, the same
>as beef or pork suet, and used to make pemmican, for instance?

The procedure I use is as follows: Grind the suet with a meat grinder. (I
use an old manual one and get a little exercise.) Put the result in a large
pot and heat the whole thing at the kitchen range until there's no more
bubbles coming up to surface. The heating temperature must be as low as
possible. Filter the liquid fat through a kitchen towel into a heat
resistant large bowl. I repeat: heat resistant! (Once I used a big glas
bowl. It cracked and all the fat spla
shed over the kitchen sink, on the
floor and on me. Some of the fat ran down the sink. Since I regard suet
from wild animals as gold I got very depressed and left the kitchen. The
day after I cleaned up the mess and it sure wasn't easy.) From the bowl the
fat can be poured into smaller forms.

I eat the rendered suet when it's hard and not warm, together with meat.
The suet can be eaten raw as well.

>Particularly, I would like to know how to deal with the "skin", or
>membrane, on the outside of the liver. Is that usually trimmed of, somehow,
>or is it left intact and cooked?

Expose the liver for hot water a moment and peel of the film with your
fingers.

Fredrik