From:
Wally Ballou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 20:40:47 -0500
On Fri, 8 Feb 2002 19:43:21 EST S C <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> drank her milk--or gave it to his children?  I've heard people say
> that this is probably so, but I can't figure out how this could be if
> paleolithic people didn't produce lactose.

Even if adults did not produce ANY lactase (the enzyme necessary for
humans to digest the milk sugar, lactose), the occasional intake of a
small amount of whole milk would not cause much of a problem.  At worst,
some people might have gotten a bad stomach ache and a short spell of
diarrhea.  Do not confuse lactose intolerance with allergy.  Intolerance
can cause enough discomfort that you might want to die, but allergies can
be serious enough to actually cause death.
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.