From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 2006 21:47:04 +0000
On Feb 05, 2006, at 6:42 pm, Richard Geller wrote:

> I don't know about dietary fat, but I got a new perspective on
> bodyfat especially depot fat from Ari Hofmekler.
>
> I now think that bodyfat is a protective mechanism. It is the way
> the body deals with intake of too many of the wrong foods. Fat
> increases insulin resistance, stores hormones and various fat-
> soluble chemicals, and otherwise in many ways serves to keep the
> organism from getting really sick or dying from the wrong foods.

Perhaps.  Ray Audette claimed that obesity is an auto-immune disorder
in Neanderthin.  And I once knew a woman who said that eating wheat
made her weight balloon rapidly.  I'm sure there are plenty more
people like her.  But I'm sure there are plenty of overweight people
who would still be fat if they switched their carbs from wheat to
rice, or some other switch where the carbohydrate source was
different but the effect on insulin is the same.

> I've started to see how more and more "symptoms" are really the
> body's protective mechanisms. Take away the causes and the symptoms
> reverse or disappear.

Have you read Not All In The Mind by Richard Mackarness?  It's one of
the best books I've read and explains how diseases occur when the
body's ability to cope with stress is overwhelmed.  He was (is?) a
big fan of paleo.  His ideas are so straight-forward and his records
of his treatments were so meticulous that I think it is nothing short
of scandal that his work was ignored by the larger medical
community.  (But sadly that is exactly what I would expect.)

Ashley