From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 07:00:57 -0500
On Sun, 1 Sep 2002 20:30:16 -0500, Aileen Keller <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>But D'Adamo asserts that Type A came later and evolved on a more agrarian
>diet, however the later the evolution the less time involved to adapt to
>grains. ...

All that D'Adamo and evolution explanation of his theory with
0-huntergatherer and A-agrarian never seemed logical to me.
I have read that all 4 blood groups existed for long before neolithicum.
There are argarian societies with predominating or only group 0 (celtic and
native american for example).

That's just a lame explanation for D'Adamo's *empiristic* findings.
These are based on *lectins*, how they are blood group specific in
coagulating red blood cells. "Blood group 0 has more stomach acid" is
just annother addon in nutritional theory, not at all related to the
lectins.

And *if* you look at blood group 0 coagulating food items, you see, that
most grain products  - cereals and legumes - are classified as "avoid" or at
best as "occasionally". However there are some (processed lectin-reducing)
items like sprouted-bread ("Essene") which are rated beneficial even for
0-s.
What is left is a huntergatherer. Well, but this is D'Adamo's (IMO
unprobable) explanation.

Traditional diets *used to* employ lectin reducing (and general
antinutrient-reducing)  techniques. All of them did.
Sourdough, other fermenting, soaking, rinsing even germinating and drying
again is frequently found in traditional staple dishes. Of course cooking.
Particularly for cereals and legumes the staples for 8,000 years.
And hardly found properly done today, btw..

Annother question is: Is it valid to test lectin activity on red blood
cells? No food protein should come in contact with red blood cells.
Normally proteins are digested before they penetrate into the bloodstream.
So what sense makes it to take some blood drops out of the body, and see if
they react with a food lectin?

For some the er4yt diet works well, and that may have to do with "leaky"
guts, letting some proteins pass, which they shouldn't.
This might be more frequent than thought before, as far as er4yt works.

regards

Amadeus S.