From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:39:34 -0600
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:08:57 -0600, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> It's interesting, Adrienne, to hear of your struggles with your mother
> in law.  My in laws, my father in law in particular, are so addicted to
> sugar that any mention of this paleo diet sends them into fits.
> Whenever we politely mention -- and despite by inner thoughts, I am
> polite -- that our children don't eat this or that, we get a comment
> like, "Oh, that's stupid!"  It's fun being undermined in front of your
> children.  Seriously, the behavior is very much like an addict's.

It's even more fun being the only one in the house who's eating paleo (my wife and kids do not follow my diet).  But it's really just a matter of perception.  My wife, who is of a "meat and potatoes" background, has the perception that it's really hard to cook now, because there's nothing she can fix that's "on my diet".  My perception is just the opposite -- that there are limitless combinations of things to eat, the majority of which are a snap to prepare.  It all depends on your point of view.

The trouble, I think, also comes from bad diet not having an immediate effect.  If you eat a bad piece of meat and you're sick for three days, you won't want to eat that again.  But if you eat a big piece of sugar candy, and there is no immediate adverse reaction, then you assume it's OK to eat.  And if it tastes good, so much the better.  (This, of course, does not explain how mankind ever came to consume jalapeno peppers.)

--
   Robert Kesterson