From:
R Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 07:41:45 -0500
<<The fogginess, weakness, and cravings (and hence the addictive nature)
comes from the hypoglycemic phase *after* the carb loading phase.
Low blood sugar usually shows up after some time, when high insulin has
caused low glucose in the blood...Low blood sugar then endangers the brain
and causes fogginess and so on....>>

The symptoms that I'm referring to occur 1 - 2 hours after eating, when
blood sugar and
insulin are still elevated (blood sugar usually peaks about 30 - 45 minutes
after eating).

Lower (but not necessarily hypoglycemic) blood sugar usually occurs 2.5 - 4
hours after eating.  Still, many people suffer symptoms when their blood
sugar does not dip below fasting levels (or 80 mg/dl).  If they did dip
below these levels, a cascade of hormones (adrenaline enhanced by cortisol)
is largely responsible for the symptoms associated with low blood sugar.

I still haven't found a reliable explanation for why many symptoms occur 1 -
2 hours after eating.  It seems like a less-than-clear combination of:
* food allergies/sensitivities in some people
* hyperinsulinemia (maybe)
* opium-like stimulation of brain endorphins (maybe)

Rob