From:
Neil Abrahams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 18:26:51 -0800
Sally Falon has a lot to say, and doesn't say it in a succinct, or even
convincing way.  One recipe in the book, for fish sauce, is actually
dangerous, according to a university researcher I asked about it.
Others involve much more time and effort than is needed.  She is not an
accomplished cook.  She has a definite agenda, and I have the feeling
that she didn't let facts get in the way of advancing it.  I found much
of the book frustrating.  Using grape leaves, for example, as a
sourdough starter is just not a good idea.  A large section is on
fermented fruits and vegetables, which use whey or lemon juice as to
control the fermentation.  Results are anything but guaranteed.  Her
co-author, Mary Enig, Ph.D., wrote a book about fats which might be
useful, but it is way overpriced, and advertises a website for use of
owners of the book that, as of at least two years after it's
publication, had still not been completed.  It also is poorly written,
and reads, in part, like some of your worst college textbooks.  Many
recipes in "Nourishing Traditions" provide high levels of saturated
fats, as they see nothing wrong with their consumption. You can find
good natural beverages (which the book has many of) on this website:
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/kvass-msg.html.

Neil