From:
P & L Ventura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 19:19:53 -0700
Mary,

I've always read that selenium content in foods is directly related to
the selenium content in the soil in which it was grown/raised.  You
can
do a comparison of selenium content foods at the USDA nutritional
database, to give you an idea of how much is in organ meats as
compared
to other foods.  http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

"Unmentionable Cuisine" by Calvin W. Schwabe (available at Amazon.com)
will tell you what  you can do with stoamch, spleen, pancreas,
sweetbreads, brain, eyes, mountain oysters (testicles), uterus,
tongue,
kidneys, lips (really!), lungs, intestines, diaphram, feet, ears....
You
name it, he'll tell you how to eat it, raw or cooked.  The tough part
is
either getting your butcher to bother digging out all this stuff
according to USDA regs (mine won't--says it too much trouble, not
worth
it) or doing it yourself (my butcher also will not give me the
"refuse"
because he's so frightened of government regs for removal of certain
organs.  So I only get get livers, hearts, kidneys, sweetbreads
[thymus], tongues, tripe, tail).

A passage from "Unmentionable Cuisine":

"Lamb's Head (Smala-hovud) / Norway

Drive a stake into the nostrils of a lamb's head and, holding it by
this
handle, burn off the wool over an open fire.  Scrape the skin with a
knife. Repeat the singeing and scraping until no wool remains and the
skin is nicely browned.  Split the head in two lengthwise (and reserve
the brain for some other dish).  Remove the  turbinate bone in the
nose
and soak the head overnight in cold water.  Pack it in dry rock salt
for
24 hours or longer.  To serve, put the halves in a tightly covered
kettle with sufficient water and cook until the meat falls off."

Or, you can just singe the wool off, split the head in two
longitudinally (he doesn't say with what--an axe?) brush the teeth,
nostrils and ears out, and boil it for two hours.  "With the fingers,
eat the meat, tongue, and eyes dipped in a sweetened sauce of hot
mustard." (Sweden)

Bon appetit!
Lois