From:
Michelle Hale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2003 13:58:19 -0500
Hi--My name is Michelle and I joined this list to provide me with the support I need to adopt a Paleo style of eating.  Here's my background:  I am a 26 year old female.  I do not have a weight problem, nor have I ever had one.  However, while researching alternative ways on dealing with acne (a problem I've had since age 11 with no success in any treatments), I came across several websites & articles implicating sugar and refined carbohydrates.  This sparked my interest as I am a carbohydrate addict.  In college, I basically lived on cereal, rice, and pasta.

After doing much research and running across information on the Paleo diet, I realized that many of the medical problems that my family has could be tied to eating excess carbs.  My family tends to be long lived; however, there is a lot of arthritis (both osteo & rheumatoid), digestive problems, acne, type 2 diabetes, and myopia in my family.  In addition, my father's sister died when she was 16 due to leukemia, and I have 2 first cousins (from out of 6) who developed juvinille diabetes when they were 12 years old, and have heard that a few of my second cousins also have juvinille diabetes.  Personally, I feel that my energy level is not where it should be.  I would like to cure my acne.  And I have constant post-nasal drip that I've read the Paleo diet can solve.

One month ago, I ate a substantially paleo diet for one week.  I felt great--I had so much energy my husband accused me of being on speed, my acne disappeared, and I lost 5 lbs (despite trying not to lose weight); however, then Easter hit, and the refined carbo bug hit me and I've been struggling since that time.  My husband is not "unsupportive"; however, he has very, very unhealthy eating habits, and is unlikely to change.  He was raised on Ho-ho's and McDonald's, and despite a cholesteral level of over 300 at the tender age of 26, and a family history of heart attacks by age 50, he is unwilling to change.  We also have a 24-hr convenience station about 50 feet from our house, which adds to the easy access to bad food.  So temptation is constantly around me.  My biggest problems arise when I have sudden cravings and there is nothing convenient to eat.  I've never had a weight problem, so in the past I've given in to these cravings.  So I've never learned the strategies necessary to get over cravings.  What does everybody else here do to cope?  My cravings get especially bad within the two weeks before my period, so women, can you help me out here on how you deal with this?  Thanks!