From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 07:42:06 -0400
Marilyn Harris wrote:

> At 04:41 PM 9/23/02 -1000, Secola/Nieft wrote:
>
> >Yes. They are all harvested wild in the Amazonia. But usually rancid in
> >markets. We sampled some fresh ones in Iquitos, Peru, and they tasted more
> >like chestnuts than brazil nuts found in markets. Not altogether attractive.
>
> I am guessing that almost all nuts that one would buy at a grocery or
> health-food store then would be rancid?

I haven't found that to be true. EFAs in whole-food form have a fair
amount of protection against oxidation. Brazil nuts seem extra prone to
being rancid, especially if you buy them shelled. We buy almonds and
walnuts and they generally seem quite fresh. Actually, the least fresh
ones have been organic ones from health food stores. I think those ones
tend to sit around in storage too long in wholesale or retail
facilities. Costco seems to have very fresh nuts and very good prices.
Maybe they have a more direct supply route, or a higher turnover rate,
and since nuts are supposed to have rather low pesticide residues, we
prefer them to rancid and expensive ones from the health food stores.