From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 07:23:09 -0500
On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Erik Hill wrote:

> I seem to be gaining weight.  After many months of losing, and then maintaining,
> I have gained about 10 lbs of weight!  Unfortunately, it seems to be fat, and
> I'm very unhappy about it.  I went into ketosis with meat and so on, but
> amazingly (to me) didn't lose a pound, but in fact gained even more weight.  I
> didn't know this was possible.  Now I'm at a loss as to what to do.  No wordplay
> intended!

As you've already realized, your shift to a more sedentary
lifestyle is probably all the explanation you need.  This
shouldn't be surprising, but there are two myths that are very
common in lowcarb and paleo circles that need to be dispelled.
One is that on a low-carb/paleo diet calories are irrelevant to
weight loss.  The other is that in ketosis weight loss is
inevitable and weight gain is impossible.  Both are dead wrong.

Incidentally, I have been in ketosis continuously since the
beginning of the year, with the exception of only two days when I
ate enough fruit to kick me out.  This is the longest that I have
ever stayed in ketosis, and I seem to be tolerating it well this
time.  No mood swings, no palpitations, etc.  I am using a lot of
salt, and this may be making the difference.  I have, in this
time, gained about 3 pounds of fat, with no change in my exercise
patterns (if anything, I am a bit more active).  This should not
be shocking, since I am consuming a lot of fat calories.  What
remains to be seen is whether I can cut back to a fat-losing
intake without being hungry all the time.  That, of course, is
the dieter's Holy Grail.

Todd Moody