From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 22:32:33 -0700
One of the thought-provoking books that helped shove me into Paleo was
"Lights Out!; Sleep, Sugar, and Survival" by T.S. Wiley. Actually, I
haven't even read it yet, but saw her on TV and pulled down a long excerpt
from Amazon. The theory is that our invention of light bulbs changed our
natural patterns by initiating a sort of "endless summer" state. This makes
us believe, in our metabolic selves, that winter must be just around the
corner if the days are so long now. We run around like crazy, continually
seeking sexual partners and competing with others to get them, since
carrying offspring into the long winter's sleep is vital. We also crave
carbohydrates, and store them more readily as adipose tissue around the
midsection to protect the organs. And we convert fat into nature's
antifreeze, cholesterol. The artificial abundance of carbs we have
available year-round is also something that only occurs in late summer in
nature.
Another aspect is what happens in the brain when we do aerobic exercise:
what we call the "runner's high", the endorphin rush, apparently occurs in
a part of the brain that only kicks in when death is nigh, like when you're
running for your life from a predator, or calmly passing your last few
moments in a bed dying of disease. So the author says " All the systems
that have evolved to keep you alive and have brought you to this point are
shouting 'Famine's coming!'. When you exercise day and night to stave off
the weight gain your body and mind crave, you kick in your stress response.
The message you're sending to those systems is, 'Oh my God, there's a
famine coming and there's a tiger chasing me!'"

This is really interesting stuff, and ties in with the chronic high
insulinism that causes any number of diseases, and which can only come from
chronic carb consumption, and chronic carb consumption just can't happen in
nature. So there we are with Paleo. It looks as though along with diet, the
resetting of the endocrine clock by sleeping in accordance with natural
light can make a ton of improvement in health. I'm going to be exploring
all this for myself, and certainly would welcome dialogue on the ideas.

Incidentally, I know about the Bonobos. Maybe what they have in common with
humans is being able to separate love and sex - well, in their case,
reproduction and sexual play. But then, the humans who have figured out
that you can have both love and sex, and combine them, or not, are pretty
far and few between, in my experience.

ginny and Tomo, "Pass the pork liver, Mom"

All stunts performed without a net!