From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2008 11:41:48 +0100
Stefansson only did his Bellevue study for only 1 short year, much of which time he and his fellow testee were not under strict supervision. Therefore, I have my doubts that such a lack of variety  is truly sustainable, re really good  health, in the long-term. Even the Eskimoes depended on a wide, varied diet, incorporating organ-meats, meats from different species etc.

Geoff

 "Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognised. In the first it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, and in the third it is regarded as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer. http://www.rawpaleo.com/ http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawpaleodiet/ > Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 03:14:58 -0700> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Grassfed Hamburger Only> To: [log in to unmask]> > A little support for my statement that one could eat only 75% lean> grassfed hamburger. > > First my assumptions:> 1) It's not necessary to consume a varied diet if you get everything you> need in one food (see Steffanson and his experiences with pemmican)> 2) Daily caloric needs for weight maintenance -- a concept I'm frankly> really not sure about due to Taube's research, but I'll give it anyway> -- equals 2350 cals/day based on an active 42 year old man who weighs> 155 pounds (per the Mayo calculator)> 3) Daily protein requirements are about 100 grams per day for an active> 42 year old man. (Remember that excess protein is converted to glucose> via gluconeogenesis -- see Rosedale)> 4) Daily carbohydrate needs are ZERO (see Taubes, Atkins, etc, etc)> 5) Omega 3 needs are at least 1 gram a day (see anybody)> 6) Omega 6:Omega 3 ratio should be at most 2:1 (see anybody)> 7) Also note that I'm not going to touch on calcium, other minerals, or> vitamins (but see my recent email on beta carotene and vitamin A which I> believe will show that sufficient vit A can be obtained from grassfed> burger)> > So how much 75% lean grassfed burger would be required to give you 2350> cals per day? 1.75 pounds.> > How much protein would you get per day eating 1.75 pounds of grassfed> burger? 115 grams or 460 calories (almost none of which would be used as> calories)> > How much fat? About 1900 cals/day. (As I've posted here before, my> experiments have shown that I don't want much fat at least early on in> the diet and that I had a hard time getting enough calories, thus> causing me to lose weight. I don't know if this was due to insufficient> time for adaptation --see Phinney -- or my body was naturally trying to> get down to a more natural weight level, as I could stand to lose maybe> 10-15 pounds at the time I was doing the experiments).> > How many grams of Omega 3s? 4.7 (Dietary experts say to get at least 1-3> grams. One teaspoon of Carlson's fish oil gives you 1.6 grams)> > What is the Omega 6:Omega 3 ratio for grassfed hamburger? .81 (markedly> better than the recommended 2:1)> > And how much would a grassfed burger only diet cost? About $283/month> or $9.50/day> > > Jim Swayze> www.fireholecanyon.com>
Win a voice over part with Kung Fu Panda & Live Search   and   100’s of Kung Fu Panda prizes to win with Live Search
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/107571439/direct/01/