From:
Barbara Sheppard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 20:19:42 +0900
Hi, Richard,

>I've found that the things that taste good are addictive.
>
>Sugar and coffee spring to mind. I've rarely had a craving
>for something nutrient-rich.

Does your diet include much raw food?

Over the last few years, I have been increasing my consumption of raw food.
I still have a cooked meal in the evening, but almost everything else I
consume during the day is raw.

At the same time, I have noticed a decrease in cravings and addictions. Of
course, I can't be sure that there is a causal link, but it feels that way
to me.

I've never been much of a coffee drinker, but I did enjoy an occasional cup
every now and again. Now I find even the smell of coffee quite repulsive. I
certainly used to enjoy eating things like chocolate, cakes and biscuits,
and would binge on them occasionally. Now, I almost always refuse them when
they are offered, because they just don't seem appealing any more, even
when other people around me are enjoying them. Occasionally I will try
something that I know I used to like, just to check, and then wonder why I
bothered.

As for craving things that are nutrient-rich - I would say that it's more a
case of getting hungry at certain times and then wanting food. Generally,
the sorts of things that I feel like eating at those times are those that
could be described as "nutrient-rich"; but I wouldn't really describe it as
a "craving" - it's not as intense as that.

Regards,
Barbara