From:
David Lewandowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 23:57:06 -0700
At 03:14 PM 10/24/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Thanks for posting your workout, Dave. I have a couple
>of questions if you don't mind.

        You're quite welcome. I don't mind.

>Sometimes, when trainers say "1 set to failure" they
>actually mean "1 set to failure after a couple of
>warmup sets". Do you do any warmups at all?

        I only do a very easy warm up set with about 50% of the weight
of my all
out work set for the first exercise only. I don't do any warm up sets
for
the exercises following the initial movement.

>How often do you increase the resistance? Do you
>follow the "increase reps, then increase resistance
>and reduce reps" strategy, or do you keep your reps
>constant and do "micro-increases" in resistance?

        Once I do at least the minimum rep range for a given exercise
I increase
the poundage. I do not micro load though I think it is a great thing
for
those who don't compete and want to lift without peaking. I will peak
for a
contest by doing one set of 6 with a belt in the squat, bench(no belt)
and
deadlift for that scheduled lift and drop the assistance exercises.
The
last workout before the contest is usually one set of the squat,
bench, or
deadlift for an easy opening attempt. I rest at least the last 10 days
before a contest. Out of contest training which is the majority of
time is
done for a given rep range. I do not stop because I reached a certain
number of reps but go until I can't get any more. Sometimes I under or
over
estimate poundages for a given rep range but it's a rarity.

>Do you hike with added resistence? Like a pack?

        For my longer hikes I almost always carry some stuff like
water, food,
clothing, bow, etc. and/or my 33+ lbs(and growing) 29mos. daughter.
So, yes
I carry some form of weight around my waist with a waist pack and/or
my
daughter in a back pack. I do not purposely add weight. Hiking is
something
I enjoy immensely and would not like to degrade it to a form of
exercise
for the sake of exercise. Hiking is something that I enjoy immensely.
This
is when I am with GOD. Though weight training gives me the same sort
of
connection it is not quite at the same level.

>I'm always amazed at folks who can get results like
>you apparently can from one day a week sessions. I
>always seem to lose ground when I go less than 2x/week.

        Often the case for those that do not give it a fair trail of
around 3 MOS
minimum. My explanation is too lengthy to go into here but what you
have
experienced is common especially for those with limited experience
truly
training to failure. Many simply have not developed the focus to make
that
very infrequent training session count. I use this to my benefit. I
won't
get this opportunity to train again and improve for at least 2 weeks
so I
have to make this one count! Also understand that I've been training
for
20+ years and did not start out being able to train at the intensity
needed
to gain training this infrequently. In addition my goals may be more
toward
competition than most.
        I see nothing wrong training twice a week at least in the
initial stages
of training but a point will eventually reached where you've gained
enough
strength that your recovery ability will not keep pace with your
ability to
induce a stress. For example, if your strength increases, say, 300%
from
your first workout your ability to recover does not increase a
concomitant
300% but more towards the order of about 50%. Simply increase your
rest by
250% from your starting point if/when you were making acceptable
progress
and that along with intense training will insure continual
progression.

Dave