From:
Trish Leon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 2010 02:12:12 +0000
Wally Day stated:

"I think Ken O. posted excellent advice - try to get back to your teenage activity level..."

Hi Ken and Wally;

Question:  as a 42 year old woman, with permanent spinal cord damage and extreme lower extremity weakness, what would be  considered an appropriate paleo-type of exercise? Also, my diabetes is a result of medication that I was prescribed - not poor diet induced. However, because I eat paleo, I do not require the oral diabetes  medications I once took.

Due to my spinal cord injury, I am limited to swimming, and simple walking/hiking as long as I can sit when my legs give out or use a walking assistant device.  HIT is something my lower extremities cannot tolerate very much. Bicycling (on an indoor stationary bike) maybe...depending on nerve pain.

Regarding my initial question, however, I was looking more for an answer I could provide to a friend who questioned me regarding paleo eating. She was really shocked when I described what I ate ( as are most people who are deceived by modern nutritionists and doctors). She stated that since I am not, in her words, "intensely active every day like a paleolithic hunter-gatherer", the paleo way of eating will eventually lead to a heart attack, stroke, high cholesterol, etc., etc. ( We have all heard these incorrect statements before).

In my original question, I stated that it is my belief that Paleo hunters were only "intensely active" while hunting, and the remainder of the time were less active. My argument is that Paleolithic people were not constantly "intensely" active, but were sporadically active while hunting and less intensely engaged while scavengerring/gathering (walking, carrying, lifting, processing).

Of course modern humans today have it easy. We have to be creative to become and remain fit and healthy. Our modern way of living/eating is a death sentence.

I guess I was just looking for a way to let my friend know that paleolithic people did not engage in daily, intense activity to balance out their diet.

All I know is that Paleo eating has remarkably changed my health for the better, and as an added bonus has helped me shed a few pounds as well

Thanks!!

Trish