From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 11:33:01 -0700
> I will
> allow one very small amount of blueberries and one
> very small pear or fuji
> apple per week.  No other fruit.
>
> VAL

Why no other fruits? Sometimes I get the idea there's
an anti-fruit conspiracy going on here. One of the
basic tenets of paleoism is that fruit was eaten
seasonally. Well, if you add berries to that grouping
(I do), then "seasonal fruits and/or berries" could
mean as much as six months or more, depending on where
you live. And that does not include dried fruits (an
easy process), which could have been available most of
the year.

Seems to me, the seasons should be treated thusly:
Spring-Summer eat "lighter" fare. More available
fruits and plant foods, and animals more likely to be
leaner because of increased activity levels.
Fall-Winter. Eat "heavier" fare. More nuts available,
root vegetables, dried plants stored for winter, and
animals with greater fat percentages for winter
survival. But, this is just my opinion.

Now, if you're low-carbing it for weight loss or to
regulate insulin, that's another story.

> Can someone tell me if the following are paleo?
>
> Spagetti Squash
> Acorn Squash
> Butternut Squash
> Other Winter Squashes
> Sweet Potatoes
> Yams (genuine African yams, unrelated to sweet
> potatoes)

I would treat all of these as paleo. It's practically
impossible to tell if a specific strain of anything
was available in paleo times. And anything that was
available then is probably much different from today's
version anyway. Don't fret it.

I have a ton of different squashes growing in my
garden right now. Some are probably truly paleo, some
are probably not. (I can't wait for my "paleo
spaghetti").