From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 21:13:38 -0400
On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, Dori Zook wrote:

> So I'm off to the rec center to renew my membership and start exercising
> again.  This will include some weight lifting.  The last time I did this, my
> first two workout were too close together and man, did I hurt!  How long
> should I wait between workouts to avoid excruciating pain?

Well, you might do what body-for-life Bill Phillips recommends
and alternate upper and lower body workouts, Mon., Wed. and Fri.,
with high intensity aerobics on Tues., Thurs. and Sat.  Or you
could do a whole-body workout every four or five days, which
should give you a chance to recover.  At this time I'm doing the
alternating workouts, but I'll probably go to whole-body in the
fall.

> My plan so far is to do both weight lifting and aerobics.  Someone here told
> me privately that swimming isn't the best option since the water cools you
> and keeps you from sweating as much as you would, say, on the stairmaster.

Who cares about sweating?

> If anyone can recommend good dietary supplements for optimal fat
> loss, I'm open to suggestions here, too.

Theoretically, CLA supplementation should help, especially if
you're not getting only free-range meat and are not using dairy
fats.

> In short, I'm trying to finish what I started and lose another 30-40 pounds
> of body fat.  Ideally, I'd like to lose about 25 pounds on time for my
> upcoming European vacation, which is four months away.  I figure about 6
> pounds a month is realistic.  If I'm succesful, I'll certainly let you know!

As of yesterday it's two weeks since my wife and I started this
program.  She has dropped six pounds and already looks more
muscular.  I've lost a bit more.  My diet is leaner, higher in
protein, and somewhat less paleo.  My caloric intake may be up a
bit, but my caloric output is apparently up even more.

Todd Moody