From:
Elizabeth Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 04:05:18 EST
In a message dated 12/5/02 8:20:38 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>I have been trying very high fat, moderate protein, low carb with zip results
>in terms of weight loss.   I just don't know what to do.

You are not alone. I am in exactly the same position -- in my case my carb
count is generally under 25 grams. Like you I exercise, including weights.
But nothing … the scale just won't move.

I am investigating though - I'm more and more convinced that in my case my
weight is related to stress. I got my cortisol tested and it was high.
Cortisol can be high because of poor sleep, high protein diets, alcohol, and
life stress. The up shot is that cortisol increases insulin resistance, fat
deposition in the abdominal region and resistant weight. On a low carb diet
cortisol stimulates gluconeogenesis -- reading Schwarzbein's second book
right now and she definitely says that it is detrimental to eat too few
carbs.

As far as the kind of fat and satiety -- monos and unsaturated fatty acids
are metabolized a little faster that saturated fatty acids of the same chain
length, but I wouldn't have thought it would have been that noticeable. Could
there be a psychological component -- a feeling of deprivation not having the
saturated fat. A saturated fat that is metabolized quite fast BTW is coconut
oil -- great with eggs.

Namaste, Liz
<A HREF="http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html">
http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html</A>