From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 2004 10:10:07 -0500
Keith > Jim, are you asking us to join with you in ranking these foods according to whether they are:

> (a) genuinely Paleo?, or
>
> (b) healthy?
>
> Makes a big difference.

Depends on how you define paleo.  I believe that there CAN be a difference if paleo is defined as simply *that which we have eaten*.  For instance, we most certainly popped proto wheat seeds in our mouths from time to time to the detriment of our health.  My definition of paleo, though, is that we have to have consumed a *class* of foods for long enough for adaptation to occur.

Now, some argue that partial adaptation has occurred with respect to certain foods.  I'm not going to argue with that except to say the following: It is clear that no human on this planet will fare poorly in consuming a purist paleo diet.  Perhaps we can add other food items such as raw dairy or rice with no adverse health effects, perhaps we can't.  That's up to the individual to decide whether it's worth it.  While staying purist paleo, I'll try personal experiments with questionable items from time to time.

I found Eva's comments on oats and fish interesting.  My experiment this weekend was with oats.  I ate a granola made with ingredients that are paleo by anyone's standards -- except of course for the oats.  The results?  Gassiness, bloating, intense diarrhea and severe thirst.  I'd still place oats in the second category -- wheat would cause me the same symptoms as the oats but with added joint pain, canker sores in my mouth, itchy eyes, and more bloating.  But it's clear that they're bad for me.  I suspect I'm not alone.

One more thing. Someone said "science tells us [chocolate has] certain health benefits."  Science also tells us that low fat, high carbohydrate diets are healthy.  Science can be wrong.  Chocolate is an item I forgot about when compiling my list, but one I'd place in the highest category of bad foods for me.  It has certain effects on me that I imagine LSD would be like.  Along with wine, it's the favorite "good for you food" out there.  I've found, at least for me (and my children) that these supposed benefits are a lie.