From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 2000 14:06:03 -1000
Rob:
>I am starting my trial tomorrow.

Best of luck to you--it will likely be an interesting experiment.

>I just bought organic kiwis, peaches,
>oranges, grapes, grapefruit, lemons, a beet, almonds, brazil nuts, and
>carrots.

What, no comb honey? Pigging out on honey is half the fun of being a
neophyte instincto. ;) Celery, parsley, romaine, and Jewel sweet potatoes
might round out your selection. But as time goes on you'll likely be
testing stuff in the produce section since it is not cost effective to have
a wide supply at home that ends up uneaten. Yeah, that fellow in the health
food store produce section, scratching the celery and sniffing--he's an
instincto. ;)

>I could not find casse (cassia?), which is recommended on the
>anapsothereapy site, as well as beyondveg.  How necessarry is this?

I hope I didn't "recommend" cassia on beyondveg ;) but you will not likely
find it available commercially in the USA. Here in Hawaii you can just pick
up as many pods as you want from the ground much of the year once you know
where good trees are--not very hard since it is often planted as an
ornamental because of its prolific yellow blossoms. Nevertheless, it is
illegal to send most fruit, including cassia, out of Hawaii. But if the
insides of the pod are scraped out and put into a jar it can be sent
through the mail. Perhaps the folks at Pangaia will sell you some in this
condition if they have extra...

http://www.pangaia.cc

>The
>healthfood stores around here that know what it is say it is an herb in the
>cinnamon family, but my sources say it is a legume.

The scientific name is cassia fistula (I have also seen it listed as "caro
fistula"). The active ingredient in exlax comes from the bark of this
tree--or so I have heard. Liza will tell you there is no difference. ;)

You don't _need_ cassia. It just helps the transition for many people.

>What other nonmeats are recommended for starting out?

Aged fatty fish (esp Altantic mackerel--October is peak; Alaskan
salmon--you're in luck the season has just begun; sardines/herring/etc but
they are usually difficult to find fresh). Try laying fillets out on a wire
mesh in front of a fan for a day or two or three...

Also oysters, oysters, oysters. Scallops are usually easy to approach as a
beginner, but again quality is suspect. Where do you live? There's always
tuna...

After a couple weeks on plant foods you may find these foods very
attractive--but who knows???

>Also, Burger
>says not to refrigerate, but I know Jean Claude does.

Aging is slowed down by refrgerating, but so is bacterial growth so it
makes sense in humid climates. My somewhat idiotic rule of thumb is that
one day at room temp equals a week in the fridge--but it depends on lots of
variable.

>I don't mind eating commercial non ground beef
>raw,

Burger's our two-year daughter's fave RAF these days. It's from pastured
animals however...

>but what about chicken and turkey?

Tasty at times, hard to find good quality. They age well in front of a fan,
as does beef.

>I am not ready for raw pork.  I
>could get some squirrels locally, but would I skin and gut, then put it in
>the refrigerator on the bone or off?

Leave the squirrels alone perhaps. ;)

>I am also curious how to eat eggs.  Do
>you crack it, smell it, and then decide to eat it.  That is plenty for now,
>and any help is appreciated!

Test the yolk and white separately.

Keep the list updated, eh?

Cheers,