From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 19:39:52 -0700

> I have been eating paleo since 1998 or so.... so is my body
> saying to me that I should've become a vegan?
> I am paleoperplexed. I went on the diet to STOP degeneration
> so where do I go from here? Could I be allergic to wild meat?

Hi Susan,
I'm posting this to the list because I think some important information has
been missed in this thread. However, I did miss a few posts so maybe these
issues have already been covered.  Bunions may or may not be related to
gout. They can be the result of foot mechanics, an inherited foot type,
problematic shoes, gout or who knows what else.

Gout is the only diet-related cause I know of. Gout results, in part, from
inadequate kidney function. Uric acid is not being adequately cleared from
the blood. Uric acid comes from meats, seafoods, aspirin, diuretics, and
alcohol. The uric acid settles to the lower areas because of gravity. Once
settled, it forms very sharp crystals that, when movement takes place, cut
surrounding tissues causing pain and inflammation. Eventually the joint is
damaged and distorted leading to the bunion.

But not everybody who has high uric acid levels in their blood develops
gout. And not everyone who has gout has high uric acid levels in their
blood. There are some as-yet unknown factors at work.

I would be looking at my daily water intake. The more you drink, within
reason, the more you are likely to flush your kidneys and help them work. I
would also be looking at how much walking you do. The vibrations from
walking apparently helps kidneys function but I'm not sure how that works.

Finally, I'd suggest uric acid testing just to get a clearer sense of what
is going on.
Best Wishes,
Ron