From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 May 2008 15:51:13 +0100
On 30 May 2008, at 14:46, william wrote:

> Yes. (And some know the reason why.)

Since the US government invaded Iraq, farmers there have been banned
from collecting seed and have to buy it from licensed US providers
(although it hardly made the news).  Is that purely financial, or is
it also part of a desire to control the population?

They can't do that domestically - the closest they get is grain
subsidies, which is more carrot than stick.  Although arguably
anything that keeps wages low enough that people can only afford to
buy the cheapest food (because they already paid half upfront in tax)
is not practically different situation.

The question is, is grain actually necessary to control a population
now?  The ancient civilisations needed grains to feed their armies
because their food production was more primitive.  Could a modern
government operate the same way with no/reduced neolithic foods?  Or
would a paleo-fed population weaken central control?

I'm of the opinion that the neolithic diet may be reversible but
civilisation probably isn't, at least without a famine - there are too
many vested interests in it.  I'd be interested to know what everyone
else thinks though.

On a related note, there's a growing recognition of our dependence on
oil.  The Soil Association runs a Soil not Oil campaign, because
whether or not the oil is about to peak, prices are going up, the land
is being worn out, the the unsustainabilty of current farming is
becoming apparent.  Could the plot to extract money from the public
through oil backfire, and force us to revert to decentralised system?
Would it matter?  And do they have a backup plan in case that's what
happens?

So many questions, and so many possible answers, depending on how many
people in control you think are evil*, and exactly how evil you think
they are**...

Any thoughts?

Ashley

* My guess is not many, relatively speaking
** My guess is extremely