From:
Katie Bretsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 21:11:25 -0800
Mary asked for my fish stew recipe.  Warning that I'm a bit "recipe
challenged":  can't help improvising and never write them down. However,
here's a close aproximation of what I was eating last week.  I came up
with this because I smelled the curry from the cart on the corner by work
and got nostalgic for the creamy/spicy combination of flavors.  Might be
a bit spicy for a young one, but you could play with it to get a tamer
version.  (Folks, Please don't flame me if this isn't 100% orthodox
paleo.  I'm a paleo slacker, and I admit it. )  This can be stored
chilled for a couple of days and reheated on the stove, but is much
better made fresh.

Fish Stew w/ Tahini, Coconut Milk, etc.   (for one --  multiply freely
for however many)

1 lb Halibut
2 cups water (or so?)
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
2 green onions
1 big tblsp sesame tahini
1/4 tsp shallot powder
dash of white pepper
1/2 cup coconut milk (or more to taste)
juice of 1 very small lemon
6 dashes grated allspice
4 dashes grated cardamom
6 dashes grated mustard seed
three drops of hot pepper flavored sesame oil

In a soup pot, bring fish, salt and water to a gentle boil.  Reduce heat
to a simmer.  Add green onions.  Add tahini, white pepper and shallot
powder.  Stir gently to mix well. You may need to pay special attention
to getting the tahini stirred in as it can be pasty in texture.  Simmer
until fish is cooked through.   In the last few minutes of simmering, add
coconut milk and lemon juice; and, if desired, add water to get liquid to
preferred consistancy.  Add grated spices and hot pepper oil.  Adjust
spices to taste.  Serve immediately.

Notes on ingredients:

Spices -- Most spices are grated because I avoid any that I think could
potentially have some kind of flour in them.  However, even if you aren't
as strict about avoiding grains as I am, try them that way if you haven't
yet.  They taste so much better than the packaged kind, you won't believe
it.  Shallot powder is made from dried ground shallots (onion family) and
can be found at Middle Eastern markets.  Hot pepper flavored sesame oil
can be found at Asian markets.

Fish -- This calls for Halibut; but Cod or any white fish would do.  I
just throw it in the pot frozen.  Take care not to overcook the fish.  It
is cooked through when it has gone completely opaque white and breaks up
with a fork (no transparent spots). It gets tough if over-cooked.