From:
Kathryn Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 11:45:21 -0400
> Couldn't they get a live-in aide in their home with the same salary and
> spare them the horrors?   Between a live-in and relatives, they would be
> happy as larks.....  Oliva

No, Oliva, my mother has Alzheimers and really is not able to remain home...
she may try to use the stove and set the place on fire...will begin to
wander...may fall down the stairs, etc.  There isn't enough space for a
third person in the house and, the bottom line is, Dad will not be able to
tolerate her Alzheimers caused mood changes and flashes of anger.  They need
to be in a safe place but in separate rooms; that way Dad will be able to
get a little peace.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.  I've been researching this for over a
year and have finally found a good ret. home - the only downside is the
food.  I'm wondering if I can get them both put on a diabetic diet...but no
fake sugar...and then with their refrigerators in their rooms they may have
a chance!  Dad can buy them organic meat at the delli counter, fruit, veg,
nuts, berries, etc. and they can eat a lot in their rooms.  Sigh.  Too bad
we can't start our own chain of retirement homes!

Kath