From:
Jose Carlos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 04:35:55 -0500
Hi Susan:

I live in Brazil, near Rio de Janeiro.

What do we eat? Very difficult question. Most of the items you certainly
know, but many are probably unknown to you, unless you're familiar with
tropical food. I don't even know the name of some foods in English.

We eat both cooked and raw veggies: aubergines, okras, string beans, peas,
chayotes, kale, bean sprouts, etc.

As for tubers and roots, yams, manioc, sweet potatoes, "cará", and the
ubiquitous white potato. Not everything is stricly paleo, you see.

Most of our beef is grass-fed, but I can't swear it's organic. Still easy
to buy free-range eggs and organic chicken, though.

As for fish, we usually eat anchovies and sardines. I'm afraid much of our
fisheries is now farmed.

There's a wealth of fruit, you know. This is basically what makes foreign
heads spin. But, unfortunately, much of it comes from mass production, and
so the taste and nutritional value are questionable. I love persimmons
(they are in season), cashews, figs, mangoes, dates, sweetsops, well sweet
fruit in general. My wife prefers them acid: "cajá", tangerines, etc.

Are you considering immigration? Oh, depending on your age, this can be a
real challenge. And there's a different language, mentality, temperament,
social issues. Rio is a violent (though beautiful) place.

Though it is not a paradise, I think it pays to visit South America: the
people is usually very friendly and humane, especially in the less
developed areas.

Hope this helps you.

JC