From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 16:02:29 -0800
On Sunday, Nov 16, 2003, at 15:44 US/Pacific, Tom Bridgeland wrote:
> Overnight
> the bleach evaporates out, it is more volatile than water, and the
> water is safe to drink. You don't want to swallow even very dilute
> bleach though, it messes up you natural gut flora so you have to let
> the water sit overnight before using it. I do much the same with the
> chlorinated city water I drink now. Either I boil it or let it sit
> overnight in an open container. That is supposed to get most of the
> chlorine out.
>
> I never thought to bleach soak my food, that might have saved me a lot
> of trips to the Doc for drugs! I have some old carrots in the fridge
> now. I'll try it and see how well it revives them.

It used to be an accepted practice to age in this manner the water in
which one kept live fishes. I believe that with the now common
chloramines added to tap water, the breakdown does not happen so
quickly. We are obliged to chemically treat all fish water to remove
chloramines.

Personally I would avoid bleach in anything that touches food. It will
mess up far more than gut flora..

ginny