From:
Inci Willard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 21:48:28 -0400
Are the news articles pertaining to the attack online?  The
"care giver" must have had no idea of what it means to be a wolf.

Thanks,
Kath in NM<<

Hi Kath,

Here's the article.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06200/706840-59.stm

What they don't say on the article,she ,allegedly,had no fewer than 25  in
the enclosure yet only 9 were captured. Rest are on the loose,as a sheep
farmer,I do not mind coyotes or wolves or hybrids which our coyotes are
called eastern coyotes and are twice the size of western counterparts,DNA
samples shows they have crossed with Canadian grey wolves. Their hunting
styles are in pack unlike coyotes.
I smuggled 2 Kangal dogs out of Turkey,one as a pup,other as a grown dog who
was already a trained as sheep guardian and are the best defense against
them. No,they don't go after them but do stick very close to their sheep and
constantly patrol the pastures,then bark as necessary to warn the marauding
parties.

The nature needs these predators as deer population is now at their
max,licenses for hunters are very limited and fines are heavy. We are
allowed to take down as many as 5 a month without license fees. After seeing
all the ticks attached to their bodies,I just cannot face a venison steak
myself,I get the innards and the carcasses for my dogs who are on raw diet
at winter months.
I don't even allow hunters take down coyotes in our property since they mate
for life. Most sheep farmers are crying the blues though and don't
understand one fights fire with fire,as in this case not a shotgun but a
livestock protection dogs which were bred for this job for thousands of
years.

BTW,I really enjoyed your description of your area. Few years back,I took a
paraplegic friend for a tour of NM and AZ,I just loved it and hope to come
back soon.

Best,

Inci Willard