From:
Esben Brun <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 23:35:15 +0100
The issue of vegetarianism is not  trivial !

Is it ethical to kill animals?   ( when it is not necessary to survive ) ?
Why do we condemn cruelty against animals - even legislate against it ?
Animals are clearly  commonly regarded as more than mere  "meat production
units" -
namely as being more or less like ourselves !

Yet I eat meat !

I try to buy free-range , organic "meat"  - or should I say :   animals ,
conscious individuals.
But I am not entirely comfortable with it  - I have more questions than
answers.

I remember , as a kid , watching a  pig-slaughtering  on a farm.
Most of all I remember the warm smell of intestines when the bowel was cut
up.
Killing an animal is gory and grim ,  but perhaps part of being human ?
However most people nowadays are totally alienated to this.

The author Paul Shepard has written about this in the book  "the tender
carnivore".

Esben