From:
Phil Genova <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 12:17:37 -0400
Hello Everyone!

I was in an Oriental food market and saw Palm Sugar on the shelf.  It
was a brown chunk
and the label said "100% coconut palm".

Can anyone tell me more about this, specifically  if it is highly
refined?  The
nutritional analysis said 1 tsp =4 grams carbs, which I thought was
pretty good.

To date, I've been using organic  liquid agave syrup, which is derived
from a cactus,
and has the same carb. analysis as the palm sugar.

Now to the second part of this post -

I recently got a book on traditional African cooking, which had lots
of great Paleo
user friendly recipes.  One of them was for FUFU, which is pounded
boiled  white yams,
which are then rolled into small balls and used to absorb the liquids
of a variety of
meat, fish or fowl soups and stews.  In same parts of Africa, they use
cassava as the
base root, rather than yams.

I bought some yucca root at my local market, and was able to achieve
the same
consistancy of the yams.  Would this list think any of these
variations of FUFU to be
paleo, as the starches are from a root source, rather than grain?

Since doing paleo, now over 1 year, I find even an orange sweet potato
or yam to be
toooo sweet, but the yucca is really satisfying and much less so.

It was fun to put on some loud music and pound!!!!

Judy Genova, cavegirl whose been singing, "DON"T MESS WITH MY FUFU"