Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2008 13:29:47 -0800
I always enjoy your emails Jim.  Thanks for attaching the paleodiet newsletter.

  I'm hoping that someone will do a broad-based study on dairy and genetics.  I keep going back and forth about dairy in my own mind.

  My first attempt at paleo eating excluded dairy.  But I found that my teeth became very sensitive and I appeared to be losing enamel.  So I put some dairy back into my diet.

  Now, having been quite successful at eliminating sugar (other than fruit and veg) salt (a much more difficult task than I ever anticipated) and of course grains and legumes, I find that my teeth are doing great.

  Back and forth I go on dairy.  I just have been unable to put my finger on anything negative in my own health that seems related to dairy.

  A few years ago when I was playing hockey regularly, I suffered a couple of broken bones - well-deserved mind you - let a 40 something woman (me) who thinks she's a 19 year old boy play men's hockey and bones are bound to get broken - and not others'.

  The broken bones nagged at me and I was worried that I may have a bone density issue.  So when a free screening was offered at a women's health forum I was attending, I stood in line. They had 3 lines for 3 machines and you could tell by each woman's reaction what she had been told about her bone density, even though the practioners were trying to be careful and not reveal the results too loudly.  Just before my turn a girl (19 yo) to my left was tested and you could tell the results were not good.  I overheard her mother say, "yes, but she can't have dairy - she's lactose intolerant."

  Despite the two broken bones from the previous season (a rib and an arm) - my bone density turned out to be just fine.  Now I think about that 19 year old girl everytime I try to convince myself not to eat dairy.

  I greatly suspect that dairy - like every other environmental factor - is good or bad for you depending upon your genes.  But maybe I'm just uninformed.

  gale <== doing the dairy dance

[log in to unmask] wrote:
  I love this book. It's intensive reading, but solid. I'll say again that Taubes gets half the story. He seems to miss entirely the role of "foreign proteins" in disease -- c.f. Cordain's new Paleo Diet Newsletter where he discusses the very strong role of dietary lectins in the development of cardiovascular disease. http://www.thepaleodiet.com/newsletter/newsletters/PDNewsVol4No1.pdf

Jim Swayze
www.fireholecanyon.com