From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2014 14:28:14 -0600
[Ron] 1. gluten grains - For most of us, they are a problematic food, but
about
20% of the human population doesn't make haptaglobin2. That suggests that
they don't make its precursor, zonulin. If they are not making zonulin, they
are not at risk for most of the hazards posed by eating gluten grains.

There are two schools of thought out there.  The first, which you represent
here, sees gluten as an autoimmune problem for at least most humans.  The
second, which you don't mention, but which is well represented by Gary
Taubes, sees gluten grains as problematic not due to their autoimmune risk
but due to their high carbohydrate content.  So it seems to me even if it
were true that 20% of humans had zero autoimmune response to gluten grains,
they'd still have to deal with the high carbohydrate aspect and the
consequent spectrum of diseases caused by insulin resistance, etc.

[Ron]  2. paleo assumptions - are often, at least partly, based on findings
in the
skeletal remains of pre-agricultural humans, which are presumed to be
'typical' of their time and place. But most human populations were
concentrated on or near the sea shores. Given that today's sea levels are
~300 feet higher than during glacial maximums, 'typical' human remains
should be found below current sea levels, not above. So, by their very
location, the remains we are examining may not be typical of humans at that
time. Any conclusions we draw from these bones must therefore be viewed as a
questionable representation of human practices of the time.

I'm not certain we're not inventing a problem here.  I've read a lot of
people say, in effect, that because we don't know *exactly* what humans
consumed on February 19th, of 214,516 BCE, we shouldn't eat anything.
Well, ok.  Maybe there's a problem there and maybe not.  But we DO know
what they did NOT eat.  (It seems to me that the paleo standard is best
stated as: consume the types and classes of foods that would have been
available in sufficient quantities throughout the year).

[Ron] I'm not opposed to paleo eating, but I am opposed to the narrow focus
it
sometimes induces. I suspect, for instance, that some folks can eat
non-paleo with relative impugnity.

We humans don't like to be tied down.  We like our freedom.  I get that.
But I'm much more skeptical and prefer a much more conservative approach to
diet, within which paleo realm there is enormous room for freedom and
creativity.  Even apples.  You want to add in coffee or a little rice here
and there or some cheese, ok.  The price should be relatively small for
most people.  But let's not pretend its ideal to do so.

 Jim