From:
Bill Wilcox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2009 16:19:27 -0500
Lynnet Bannion wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:47:13 -0700, Bill Wilcox
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>

>> Hi and welcome.  If you want to get rid of all cravings remove all
>> plant matter from your diet and only eat from the animal world.
>> Plant based foods would be out of season and unavailable at this time
>> anyway, depending on your hemisphere and distance from the equator.
>> You could only eat them for a couple weeks during the year.
> Not actually true.  If all-meat diets work best for some people, more
> power to them. But in our temperate climate, plant foods are available
> from late spring through late fall, at least six months.  If you are
> an Inuit, plant foods are seldom available, but most of us
> are not.  I don't really think Paleo man would have turned down
> fruits, vegetables, herbs, nuts, and mushrooms; they would hardly have
> walked right past a source of edible and delicious foods.
>
> What is true is that they would not have eaten the SAME plant foods
> year around.  Each individual food may only be available for a few
> weeks.  But out of hundreds of edible plants used by hunter-gatherer
> groups, something was available during the growing season.  If you
> lived in tropical areas, something would be available at nearly all
> times of the year.  Eating seasonally is a big help in avoiding food
> sensitivies, cravings, etc.
>
>     Lynnet

I pointed out the tropical environments would have plant foods for more
of the year.  I am in Georgia, southern USA.  I cannot walk outside and
find edible fruits, nuts, or berries right now.  That was my point.  I
was just pointing out the obvious of where I live.  Paleo man did not
farm.  Fruit trees bear once to twice per year, depending on the
variety.  I have never seen an apple forest.  Once that tree was picked
clean, that's it.  Anything that is not picked during the one to two
weeks when they are ripe will fall to the ground and rot.  Berries,
blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, etc. are only
available for about two weeks out of the year.  Nuts in late fall.    I
challenge you to walk out into the woods where you live and stay out
there for a week eating only the fruits, nuts, berries, and mushrooms
you can find.  Even in the middle of Summer, since that falls between
late spring and early fall.
Sweet foods cause an insulin response which cause us to store fat. That
is why most fruits, nuts, berries, etc are only available during a few
weeks during the fall so we can fatten up for the winter when there is
less food available.
This is a way of eating, not a diet.  I've seen posts here about 'paleo
pooping', etc. which I think is a stretch.  Folks want to 'paleo poop'
but they are not willing to eat a paleo diet.  Just keeping carbs down
is not paleo and eating plants year-round is not paleo.

Sorry for the rant but that's just the way it is.