From:
David Lewandowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 22:46:09 -0800
At 12:46 PM 03/18/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Dave,
>I have read in different articles about keeping your environment cooler than
>your regular comfort zone in order to boost fat metabolism. Also read about
>drinking cold water to  assist your metabolism.
>What do you think of this?

        Don't major in the minors. You will have some calorie burning effect but
it is minimal in comparison to building muscle. On the other hand if you
have the time and can spend hours everyday in the ocean as I did when I was
younger, you will have more of a calorie deficit. Being in the sun also
helps with growth hormone and when this is released along with other
hormones in the correct balance you can build and maintain a greater muscle
mass.
        Realize that muscle is the only metabolically active tissue you can exert
any real control over. It also happens to be the greatest contributor of
dramatically raising you BMR.

>Wouldn't aerobic activity of some sort, (certainly not on purpose for
>exercise) have been a part of early human lifestyle?

        Absolutely. Just not running miles at a time.

>They ran to hunt down animals sometimes....

        Try running anything down greater than the size of a rat and you will soon
realize that man is a dismal runner for the purpose of running down game.

>walked long distances for food, trade... maybe?

        Walked, yes.

>It seems to me that with all the modern conveniences we have, most people do
>not move much during their day.Early humans probably moved around alot just
>to do what they had to do...find food, shelter, water, etc.  I think they may
>have slept often, but it seems that it wouldn't have been a deep prolonged
>sleep since they had a harder time staying warm (possibly) and had to sleep
>lighter due to worry of predators coming to eat them or their food.

        I have often camped out by myself and have never had problems even in bear
country. Sleeping in a large group I would think would provide adequate
security for deep sleep. But who knows for sure?

>Also........
>I weight train 4 x week alternating upper & lower. I find that a once a week
>upper and once a week lower makes me stay sore longer. I always thought that
>after a time you would not get sore once your muscles built to a certain
>point and that to increase muscle growth you had to work harder, get sore,as
>a sign of making gains.

        If getting sore were a necessary condition for growth I would have had
someone simply run my legs over to make them grow.
        Soreness is not an indicator of growth stimulation. I rarely get sore
except when training after a prolonged layoff.
        The absolute best marker for gains is the ability to do more reps with the
same weight in the same exercise every time you train that exercise or to
lift more weight in a given exercise. This way you know that you have met
the criteria for growth stimulation and acquisition.

>There are so many different opinions and approaches to building muscle.
>Sometimes it can be confusing.
>What do you think about the soreness issue, Dave?
>
>Thanks for any info.
>
>Mary C.

        Your welcome. I feel as stated above. To put it in basic terms: 1) train
hard enough to stimulate gains(this only takes one set by the way), 2) rest
long enough for the growth to occur and supply adequate sleep, nutrition,
and stress reduction lifestyle factors to ensure full recovery ability.
        If you are training hard enough(which usually is the problem I find with
most people) and not making gains in reps, weight or both every time you
train then you are training to often, doing too many sets, doing isolation
movements, not sleeping enough, eating poorly, and/or have too many outside
demands on your LIMITED ENERGY reserves.

Dave