From:
Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 10:59:29 +0200
From: "Adrienne Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2003 9:37 PM
Subject: Re: Milk

> In a message dated 7/6/03 3:25:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> writes:
>
> > Most poeple and animals crave the things that are not good for
> > them.
>
> How can we distinguish cravings caused by dietary deficiencies versus
> cravings caused by other things such as food allergies, emotions, etc?

I don't think we can. People crave sweets, cakes, pizzas, alcohol, milk and
what have you. It is sad but we cannot trust ourselves to eat what is good
for us. If you get immediately ill from something; if you for instance
happen to eat false morel or cannot tolerate grains it may be easier and
still it took a long time to recognise and accept the celiac disease. If it
on the other hand takes a long time to get ill from grains it will be very
difficult to distinguish what food caused the disease. You won't even be
able to know if it was food or some other factor in life that brought
illness to your body.

All this talking about how we feel eating this and that is confusing the
issue of evolutionary eating. Some food groups very likely have an advantage
when you are young while they give you problems when you are getting old.
The milk you drink and the grains you eat when you are young causes sickness
when you are old. Not you or me but virtually everyone who eats it for a
full a lifetime.

One of the really problematic points with bread and milk is that it has such
an uplifted position in the Christian religion. The Bible talks about bread,
milk and honey. Our daily bread. Moderns talk of breadwinner - dough and
bread is slang for money, bread and circuse. Cast ones bread on the water
(we say: Send your bread over the water - in time it will return), take the
bread out of someones mouth - I could go on forever. This makes it difficult
to say to people that bread is really not good for anyone. That it is a food
group that we have not been evolutionary adapted to eat. At least not on a
daily basis.

Still, many people feel good when they eat bread and about eating bread. So,
how can we gently inform of our ideas?

Eva