From:
David Lewandowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 22:20:40 -0700
At 10:17 PM 07/22/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>One of main bleatings of the vegetarian crowd is that humans can only handle
>3-5 ounces of meat at one time. I have never seen any research that supports
>that statement.  I only get "everyone knows that's true," whenever I ask
>anyone about that statement.
>Does anyone have any info on that subject.

        Personal experience says this would be akin to torture for me and some of
my powerlifter teammates. One of my teammates tried my advice of eating
from 24-48 ounces of red meat after training sessions and note the soreness
level.  The results were as I have experienced. No soreness and faster
recovery. 3-5 ounces would put me on death's door step. I understand that
powerlifting is a great stress to the body but even in a fairly non active
person I would recommend close to 1 gram of protein per pound of body
weight. This is about three meals of 70 grams of protein(I think there's
about 7 grams of protein per ounce of meat so that's about 10 ounces at a
time) at a sitting on my lazy days at about 200lbs of body weight. On my
workout days and more active days I'll consume about 400-500 grams of
protein in a day. So much for 3-5 ounces.

Dave