From:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 11:07:36 -0800
Hi Todd,

>Susan, I still don't understand where the gluten in the meat is
>supposed to come from.  "Grain finished" meat generally refers to
>meat from animals fattened before slaughter on grains, but the
>grain most often used for this purpose is corn, which is devoid
>of gluten.  I think soybeans are also sometimes used, but they
>have no gluten either.  Is the gluten from oats, perhaps?

All I know is I have never been itchier than after I ate pemmican with
'grain finished' beef and  suet. It is written that celiacs *may* react to
soy, corn and oats depending on the sensitivity of the celiac.  I have
reacted severely to soy, corn and oats when eating them when I was a
vegetarian. The proteins are similar to the gluten protein.

All the best,
Susan