Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 14:32:29 -0500
On 1 April, 2004 13:31, you wrote:

> William, what did the newsletter say re. fish oil & Vit. E caps?  Would you
> pls. net out the article for us?  I do know from my cancer research that
> eating foods rich in Vit. E is very important for cancer prevention, but I
> am not a huge fan of pills.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Kath

Gack! I was afraid of this - am maybe not the world's worst typist, but close
(pretty good at proofreading, though).

Here is an excerpt: "Between the first and second world wars, cod liver oil
was recommended as a vitamin supplement, at first as a source of vitamin A,
and later as a source of vit;amins A and D. But in the late 1940s,
eperimenters used it as the main fat in dog's diet, and found that they all
died from cancer, while the dogs on a standard diet had only a 5% cancer
mortality.
 But around that time, the seed oil industry was in crisis because the use of
those oils in paints and plastics was being displaced by new compounds made
from petroleum. The industry needed new markets, and discovered ways to
confince the public that seed oils were better than animal fats. They were
called the "heart protective oils", though human studies soon showed the same
results that the animal studies had, namely, that they were toxic to the
heart and increased the incidence of cancer."

About 40% of the newsletter is references to articles in learned journals,
each with a brief summary.

Nothing about Vit E specifically, but I noticed on my bottle they didn't write
what the source is, I suspect soy, and anyway it's an oil.

IMHO this newsletter is worth a subscription.

William