From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 11:22:58 -0500
On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Katie Bretsch wrote:

> However,  having now gone without grains
> and legumes at all for many months (because of intolerance), I have
> observed how they displace other valuable carbs that we should be eating
> -- nutrient-rich greens, roots, tubers, stemmy stuff, fruit ,and
> nuts,even, that one eats more of when not wasting all those mostly empty
> calories on grains.  This is plenty of reason to avoid grains and
> legumes, even if you don't accept, as I do, that common grains contain
> protiens that aren't so good for us.

Actually, this is the dilemma.  Many whole grains are, gram for
gram, as nutrient dense as the vegetables you mentioned, if not
more so.  Therefore, if it weren't for the foreign proteins there
would be good reason to eat these foods in minimally processed
form.  The same is true of legumes, which although high in carbs
nevertheless have very low glycemic index as a rule.

It can be puzzling.

Todd Moody