From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 11:09:32 +0900
Nearly universal. I don't know any society that allows men or women to
publicly display genitals. There is probably an exception somewhere,
there is even a culture or two that does not use fire, or was until a
hundred years ago or so.

I am of the opinion that those cultural artifacts that are universal
or near universal are probably very very old. I laughed when I first
read the reports about the "iceman" found in the Alps a few years ago.
The scientists were shocked to find that his hair was cut and styled!
Now you find me any culture anywhere where mens hair is left to go
wild. Only a few religious sects that deliberately try to separate
themselves from society.

He had tattoos, sewn clothing, copper tools, a bow and arrows, and was
found high in the mountains. All things the scientists thought were
unlikely for people of that age and area. But we see tattoos in many
cultures all around the world, why should we imagine tatooing is
something new?

So I belive humans have been wearing clothes as long as there have
been recognisable humans. People in the forested tropics wear very
little clothing, but do usually cover genitals. I suspect the reason
humans are naked is not because we lived in the water, but because we
have been wearing clothing so long as to make fur unnecessary. A
million years?