Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 15:22:58 -0400
Todd Moody posted:
>>What is the mechanism by which dietary fats increase oil
production in the skin?  Is it known?

My reply:
Sebaceous glands naturally produce and secrete sebum (a mixture of fats,
proteins, chlolesterol, and salts).  If excess fat is floating in the blood
stream will be taken up by the sebaceous glands; in the process, bacteria
can grow on this fatty stuff while its in the hair follicles.

I don't know what your experience is, but many people find that a low fat
diet greatly reduces acne.  I'm not talking about a low fat processed foods
diet, rather....a lower fat/oil produce rich diet.  A high fiber, produce
rich diet would also mean that some of the fat (and cholesterol) you eat
would be bound with fiber (unabsorbed) and would pass out withthe stools.

I think that the conclusion that diet has no effect on acne is erroneous.
Very few MDs (including dermatologists) have any idea how to help people
change their diets in order to cut out harmful fats and oils and add
healthful foods to reduce inflammation and breakouts.

Some people are more susceptible to acne as well, even if they eat diets far
more nutritious than the SAD.  And some folks appear to be able to eat fat
(even junk fat) with abandon and not experience acne.  But that doesn't meat
that they don't suffer any ill effects from unwise dietary choices.

Rachel