From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 13:40:05 -0400
On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Matt Baker wrote:

> From: "Todd Moody"
> >after 9:00 the carb cravings do kick in.  Yet I
> > never wake up with carb cravings in the morning (or with any
> > hunger at all, for that matter).  There's something odd about
> > going to bed with intense carb cravings, but waking up with no
> > desire for any food.
>
> Are we related?  You just described me.
> Theola

Maybe we just sleep together.

Actually, I've been thinking about hunger in a paleo context.
Studies of fasting show that if the food supply is stopped or
sharply reduced, hunger is most intense during the first 48
hours, after which it either goes away entirely or is limited to
short "attacks."  I'm basing this on physiological studies of
fasting by religious ascetics, prisoners, etc.

Maybe the paleo "norm" is this: Usually one can find ample food
within 48 hours (or much less).  If 48 hours pass and one still
hasn't eaten much or anything, conditions are unusually harsh.
Rather than increasing hunger to the point where it would become
a distraction and cause one to take too many risks, the hunger is
scaled back for a while and the body goes into reserve mode
(ketosis).  Eventually, of course, the situation becomes dire and
it is worth it to take greater and greater risks to get food, and
hunger returns.

Question: Is it normal or abnormal to feel hunger (or no hunger)
in the morning?

Todd Moody