From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 06:41:31 -0600
Michael Weis wrote:

>Anyhow, the place where I always get stuck with new "diets" is in the recipes.
>I suppose it takes
>a measure of discipline, but I am not a big cook, so food preparation is
>generally not my thing. I
>would
>appreciate any advice or suggestions from others on the list to get started on
>the Paleo Diet
>without heavy reliance on preparing food all the time, if that's possible.

You can make it pretty easy; most of the meals I fix are easy.  Just
slap a nice steak on the grill
(or skillet), and put some raw veggies on your plate, such as carrot,
celery, radish or daikon,
cucumber. Presto! it's your meal.  A juicy peach for dessert.  Vary the
raw veggies with simply
cooked veggies such as broccoli. Vary the steak with a pork chop, lamb
steak, breast of chicken,
salmon fillet.

 The recipes are for people who Like to cook and will feel cheated if
they don't get recipes.

For morning, scramble 3 eggs, perhaps with a little sausage.

For lunch, I often use of chemical-free organic cold cuts, cut into a
chef salad or
just eaten straight with a selection of raw veggies.

>Also, I have a question about eating liver. I have always understood liver as
>the organ which
>detoxifies the body. Does that also mean that the toxins which are removed
>from the body
>accumulate in the liver? Is liver really a safe and healthy food to eat,
>whether it be from beef or
>chicken? Does it make a difference if the animal is grass-fed/foraging vs.
>feedlot produced?

If you eat liver, choose ONLY organic liver.  Yes, the standard liver
absorbs heavy metals
and all kinds of toxins, and if you eat it, your poor liver gets them.

>I also am a big baker, so this caveman thing could be very difficult
>for me in that regard.

Sorry, bread is out.  There are some recipes for non-standard breads
using nut flours, etc., to
make ersatz muffins or pancakes.  You may find unexpected health
benefits by removing
bread from your diet, at a minimum improved digestion.

Welcome to the list!

    Lynnet