From:
Michele Shoemaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 17:50:10 -0400
At 12:44 PM 6/4/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Willow,
>
>what herbs are you taking? I'm working with bee pollen, found a local
>source and it seems to be helping a _lot_.
>
>--Richard

I tried bee pollen once or twice and it made my mouth and throat itchy,
soooo, I decided it was not for me. I do avoid dairy like the plague, plus
it does not fit in at all with paleo-principles. Simply avoiding it could
help you a lot. You can always go back to it in the fall, if you want...On
to the herbs.

I'm taking Dandelion root(520mg capsule) for liver support, Licorice
root(450mg capsule) as an anti-inflammatory, very good on mucus membranes,
and Ephedra(375mg capsule) for adrenal support and bronchio dilation. I
take two of the Dandelion and Licorice three times daily and one of the
Ephedra twice daily namely early morning and late afternoon(usually around
6:15-6:30am and pm) with the Dandelion/Licorice. I tried three of the
Ephedra but felt tired so I cut it back to two and feel fine. The first
couple of days I felt a bit spacey and speeded up, but I'd also cut back on
my carb intake considerably at the same time.

Ephedra isn't for everyone, I can't say this enough, too much for too long
can lead to adrenal exhaustion, and if you have high blood pressure or
heart irregularities it is generally best to avoid it. This early summer
allergy season should be over in a week or so(I hope), in the mean time I
do keep to the plan. I also avoid things that will set me off, like smoke
of any kind, meadows, which in a rural area such as where I live, is
difficult, and freshly cut grass or hay which can be nasty. If I touch
grass pollen I get lovely, intensly itchy red welts...I'm also taking Vit C
in the order of 4-6 grams daily, as well as 1000 units of Vit E and 25,000
units of beta carotene daily. The C is a natural anti-histamine and the two
others soothe and heal irritated mucus membranes.

Willow