From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2010 21:35:58 -0600
On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 07:30:27 -0600, Batsheva <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> I once dealt with an endocrinologist for some Thyroid issues I was
> having when I was a neolithic eater.  She suggested that in the absence
> of some carbohydrate daily, the thyroid could not produce adequate
> thyroxin.  She really was not a great fan of the zero carb/low carb
> diet.  She had no problems with the carbs coming from paleo sources, but
> they needed to be included in some form daily, according to her view of
> healthy thyroid output.

I agree with this.  The first time I went paleo low-carb, I was doing
fine for about 6 months, then hit the wall.  Cold all the time, worn
out, constant cravings.  I fell off the diet, and spent years trying
to get back (and incidentally regained all the weight I had lost).

Now I do a carb-cycling diet a la Faigin (Natural Hormonal Enhancement).
Low carb most meals, 2 high-carb dinners per week.  When it's carb-load
day, I really know it.  I have hunger that no amount of good meat, meat
fat, or veggies will satisfy.  One carb load resets it, and I'm good to
go for another three or four days.

After I had lost about 20 lbs this year, I increased my carb count
slightly with 1/2 piece of fruit for breakfast and lunch, and 1 piece
for supper.  This also made the diet easier, and helped me feel better.
Now I have lost 44 pounds.  It's wonderful, and I'm feeling good, like
I could eat this way the rest of my life.

Insulin is anabolic; glucagon, its opposite, is catabolic--gross
simplification, but you don't want to be catabolic (tear-down) all the
time.

	Lynnet