Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2008 10:40:55 -0400
Here's a grassfed, paleo meatloaf recipe of my very own.  I adapted it from
my old, nonpaleo one.
Note:  it does have peppers, onions, tomatoes.  If I'm making this for
company I'll sometimes use some worcestershire sauce and a touch of butter
in the mushrooms to enhance flavor, which is bad, but it's only a little
spread out over a lot of meat.  For just us, I'll usually just use the
Japanese plum vinegar instead of worcestershire.

Note:  the market here carries a great grassfed chuck.  I mix that with my
grassfed I buy from another local supplier which is quite lean, in a 50-50
ratio.  If your grassfed ground beef is very lean, use your judgement in
adding more fat.

 This makes a lot of meatloaf, so there's plenty to freeze.  I bought some
baking pans (like muffin pans) only the shapes are 8 small rectangles.  This
recipe will make 2 pans, or 16 miniloaves, or a big pyrex (lasanga-sized
pan) monster 'loaf'.  The mini pans are metal and nonstick (though I still
oil), and great for making mini-meatloaf and crustless quiches.  They freeze
well that way, and it's it's easy to grab one or two out of the freezer the
night before and have a lunch ready to go.  The seasonings in this are
purely a matter of taste--experiement!

Ro's Grassfed Meatloaf

*Ingredients*

**

3 lbs grassfed ground beef and/or chuck

1 onion -- finely chopped, preroasted in oil (olive, avocado, or coconut, or
comination thereof)

1 red bell pepper -- julienned, preroasted in oil, then minced

2 pints baby bella sliced mushrooms -- precooked in coconut
oil/butter/worchestershire sauce, then coarsely chopped

1/2 can coconut milk -- Thai Kitchens brand, organic, full-fat version

1/2 small can tomato paste

4 eggs

1 1/2 tbsp mustard with horseradish -- Annies, Harrys

salt

peper

italian seasoning -- Publix brand

Mrs Dash seasoning, table blend

6 dash worchestershire sauce

4 dash red wine or Japanese plum vinegar

3 dash tabasco sauce

 **

*Instructions*

This is the recipe I use to make mini meatloaves to freeze for lunches.

Day before, prep vegetables.  Slice peppers, and finely chop onions.  Roast
peppers and onion with oil(s), each vegetable tightly sealed in it's own,
separate foil packets, at same time on a long jellyroll pan (ie a flat big
sheet pan with small raised rim all around,  in case of leaks) for about 40
minutes at 400F.  Cool.  Chop peppers more in food processor.  Refrigerate
prepared peppers and onion until needed next day.

Precook mushrooms at once in two 12" nonstick skillets, 1 pint per skillet.
Cook on med-high to almost high heat in a little coconut oil plus a tbsp of
butter, until seared and turning brown.  Cut down heat a bit, add some
dashes of worchestershire sauce or plum vinegar, stir another minute, then
remove from heat.  Cool, chop coarsely in food processor, and refrigerate.

Next day, preheat oven to 350F.

Prepare pan or pans.  This is enough meat to do one big glass lasagna dish
of meatloaf, or 2 trays of 8 each mini meatloaves.  Oil pans with olive
oil.  Set aside.

Break up grassfed ground meat into large bowl.  In a medium bowl, add wet
ingredients and seasonings:  coconut milk, tomato paste, eggs, mustard,
worchestershire sauce or plum vinegar, tabasco sauce, salt, pepper, italian
seasoning, and Mrs. Dash seasoning.   Beat well to break up eggs and mix
ingredients.

Add wet ingredients to big mixing bowl already containing broken-up grassfed
ground beef/chuck.  Mix it all from the bottom up, gently but thoroughly
with hands.  No squishing!  If using mini loaf pans, place enough meat to
come within 1/4" of top.  Smooth tops with fingers.  With all loaves, run
finger around edges to give oil a place to collect.  If using large pyrex
glass dish,  then pat out one flat, rectangular monster loaf, and use
fingers to pull it away from all 4 sides of dish about 1/2", again to make a
well for juices to collect.

Cook mini loaves for 20 minutes, then pull out the two pans and switch racks
for even cooking; close oven and cook for another 20-30 minutes.  Check
after second 20 minutes.  Cook until tops are just starting to brown and/or
internal temp is 165-175F when measured with my accurate instant-read
temperature probe.

If doing single monster meatloaf, put pan in and cook for 30 minutes with
top loosely covered in foil.  Check to see if some grease needs to be
spooned off.  After that, remove foil, and continue cooking until done.

With mini loaves, be sure to remove immediate onto a piece of foil to cool,
so they won't sit in grease that collects in bottom.   With large loaf,
drain grease/juice off and let cool in pan until serving.  Chill leftovers,
and next day when cold, slice and freeze some, if desired.  Btw, this is one
of those things that tastes even better the day after it's cooked.

Optional: if you really want to go the distance, cook and smoke some
tomatoes on the grill, and make your own ketchup with them, apple cider
vinegar, agave or honey, etc (google "homemade ketchup" and adapt for
paleo), and add to the top of the loaves when reheating.  Omg so good!